Our IT Department has a full time opening for an entry-level IT and AV Technician. While a High school diploma/G.E.D. is required for this role, post-secondary education, such as an Associate or bachelor’s degree in a related discipline from an accredited institution is preferred. The schedule requires working some weekends, and holidays, with a typical schedule of Sunday through Thursday. A valid Indiana Driver’s License and a driving record that is insurable by the Zoo’s insurer is required for this position.
This role is responsible for the operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of information technology and audio-visual systems throughout the Zoo. There will be cross training with the Zoo’s IT & AV Support Technicians to operate technical tracks during public presentations, diagnose and repair IT & AV equipment, and provide front-line support to the zoo staff and events.
This position is responsible for:
- Troubleshooting, maintenance and/or repair of information technology and audio-visual systems, equipment and hardware.
- Operation of technical tracks for show/presentation public performances, rehearsals and special events, as assigned.
- Assist IT team members with computer deployment, AV installation repair, network installation, and general IT support.
- Collaborate with relevant keeper and education staff for presentations.
- Track inventory of IT/AV equipment, perform preventative maintenance, and assist in budgeting for equipment replacement.
- Create and maintain documentation for processes and procedures.
- Achieve assigned project goals within designated timelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs proper documentation, notification, and reporting relevant to duties and assignments.
- Work positively and cooperatively with management, co-workers, department volunteers and interns. A professional and positive attitude is expected at all times while interacting with peers, co-workers and the public.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant IT & AV systems.
- Possesses a valid Indiana driver’s license (or obtains one within 30 days of hire) and maintains a driving record that is insurable by the Zoo’s insurer.
- Willingness and ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Practice safety as it pertains to the Zoo’s best safety practices and all other relevant industry guidelines.
- Working schedule may vary based on the zoo’s seasonal schedule, although typical days scheduled may be Sunday through Thursday.
- Ability to work outdoors and indoors under all environmental conditions.
- Ability to repeatedly lift and carry at least 40 pounds of weight.
- Must have the physical ability to walk, stand, kneel, squat, bend, lift and push while performing various job tasks.
- Must be physically able and comfortable working at heights (catwalks, lifts, etc.), in dimly-lit venues, and around water when necessary.
- Excellent visual acuity and hearing required.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Previous professional experience as an IT or AV Technician or other related discipline strongly preferred.
- Understanding of basic A/V concepts and terminologies including signal path, AV file formats, wired and wireless mic & PA systems, mixers, and production software.
- Understanding of basic IT concepts such as network addressing, Microsoft Office, software and hardware installation, printer maintenances, and point-of-sale systems.
- Currently possess or be able to obtain an Indiana driver’s license.
- Consistently practices safe work habits including, but not limited to, the use of personal protective equipment, lifting and reporting of unsafe situations.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Keen attention to detail.
ONLY ON-LINE APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED. Faxed, mailed, and delivered resumes will not be considered. PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS.
To help ensure receipt of your online application, we recommend applicants use a computer running Windows XP or higher, with at least Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome, or Safari.
In the “Position Desired” section of the on-line application, please enter “IT and AV Technician”.
Cover letters and resumes are strongly encouraged, and may be attached. Please include compensation (hourly rate) requirement.
Successfully passing pre-employment testing, including drug test, criminal history check, and a driving record check is a condition of employment.
Applications must be received by 2/21/2020.
The Indianapolis Zoo is an EOE/ Drug Free/Smoke Free/Child Safe Work Environment.