Application deadline is July 31, 2018.
Candidates must apply on-line for this position. Candidates are encouraged to attach resumes and cover letters.
The Indianapolis Zoo operates an array of family-friendly attractions and rides, with millions of guests in attendance each year. The Park Operations Grounds Lead is a year-round part time position (working up to 29 hours per week) that assists the management team in operating one of the most popular family venues in Indiana. The Park Operations Grounds Lead is responsible in working with the management staff in helping maintain Zoo grounds, building, and training staff. • Must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid Indiana driver’s license that is insurable by Zoo’s insurance. Part time regular positions are eligible for paid holidays and paid time off.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Takes part in weekly rounds, identifying maintenance needs and cleaning projects.
- Assists the manager with scheduling duties
- Monitors the progress of duties assigned to grounds staff throughout the day.
- Assists in training staff and preparing training checklists.
- Assist if needed daily stocking and cleanliness of the restrooms, outdoor food service areas, general pathways, landscaping, benches, trashcans, carpeted and tiled areas
- Provides general operational support for standard and special events, including but not limited to CATZ, Zoo Boo, Zoobilation, and snow removal.
- Ensures all Zoo sanitation, chemical handling and safety standards are adhered to.
- Responsible for communicating supply needs to supervision.
- Helps oversee daily tasks performed by Custodial Staff.
- Gives detailed instruction to staff members and department volunteers.
- Works weekends, holidays and overtime as needed. Different shift work will be required.
- Ability to stand and walk for prolonged periods.
- Will be required to climb ladders and scaffolding, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, and lifting.
- Physically required to lift or exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or more than 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must follow Universal Protection Precautions and Blood borne Pathogens Guidelines. There is possible occupational exposure (Category B employee) to human blood borne pathogens.
- Hearing – must be adequate to perform job duties, communicate over the telephone, and two way radio.
- Vision – Must be able to observe an area that can be seen up and down, or to right or left while eyes are fixed on a given point.
- NEAR ACUITY – Clarity of vision (with or without glasses/contact lenses) at 20 inches or less.
- FAR ACUITY – Clarity of vision (with or without glasses/contact lenses) at 20 feet or more.
- DEPTH PERCEPTION – Three dimensional vision (with or without glasses/contact lenses) to be able to judge distances and spatial relationships so as to see objects where and as they actually are.
- COLOR VISION – Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Will be required to be working indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather, which includes inclement weather below 32 degrees or above 100 degrees
- Will be exposed to and work with various solvents, cleaning chemicals, dust, and pollen.
Knowledge of custodial/housekeeping, duties, or related fields. Basic computer skills (excel, Word) is required. Must be team oriented and have strong interpersonal skills. One-year customer service and problem-solving skills is preferred.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Must be able to read, understand and follow directions (written and verbal).
Application deadline is July 31, 2018. Only on-line applications are accepted. Mailed, faxed, e-mailed or dropped off applications are not accepted.
In the position desired section of the on-line application, please enter “Park Operations Grounds Lead”.
Candidates are required to complete the on-line application, and are encouraged to attach cover letters and resumes. Please include salary expectations. Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test, criminal history check, and a driving record check are conditions of employment.
The Indianapolis Zoo is an EOE/Drug free workplace.