The Indianapolis Zoo depends upon our Safety & Security Team to lead our efforts in providing a safe, secure environment for our guests, employees and our collection 24/7. The Zoo is currently considering new applicants for seasonal security officer positions. If you have experience in security and want to work in a fun environment, there's no better place than the Zoo.
- Patrol internal and external Zoo property and investigate unusual or suspicious situations.
- Conduct safety/security inspections and maintain records and logs as assigned.
- Interact with Zoo employees, volunteers and guests, requiring excellent verbal communication skills.
- Handle parking lot security, school bus and special event parking, monitor entry access to Zoo grounds.
- Enforce Zoo procedures and regulations
- Other security functions as directed by management.
- Past work experience in law enforcement, security, military or extensive customer service experience is strongly preferred.
- Have the ability to respond quickly and effectively in emergencies
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma/GED
- Possess a valid Indiana driver's license with an acceptable driving record
- Can work any day of the week, on any shift (approximately 40 hours per week from March to December)
- Possess proven outstanding customer service skills.
- Candidates must have a good working knowledge of a PC, and be able to learn new software.
- Good visual acuity is required.
- Fluency in the English language is required. Verbal skills in other languages are a plus.
- Candidates must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time; fast-walk or jog around our 64 acre campus; lift and carry 50 pounds; drag 100 pounds for a short distance; and repeatedly climb ladders and steps.
- Work is often outside, and Officers are exposed to all kinds of weather/environmental conditions.
The Indianapolis Zoo is a one of the top tourist destinations in Indiana. Our animal exhibits, gardens and aquariums delight more than a million visitors annually. The Zoo is a private, 501(c)3 institution.
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED (see below). Candidates are encouraged to attach cover letters and résumés. Mailed, faxed and hand-delivered applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
On the online employment application, please enter "Seasonal Security Officer" in the "position desired" section.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of pre-employment testing including a drug test, driving record and criminal history checks. The Indianapolis Zoo is a drug free/smoke free workplace and an equal opportunity employer.
Online Job Application